What the GRUCOX ?
Some of you may have noticed a weirdly shaped bike in our office or seen photos of a strange machine online called the Grucox. Well in this post we will be telling you what it’s all about and who should be using it to help boost their training or help speed up their recovery!
The Grucox Eccentric Trainer is an interactive leg training machine, which allows the user to combine eccentric and concentric exercises, while monitoring their performance data. In so doing this allows the user to optimize a training routine in order to achieve maximum strength gains in the shortest period of time.
Who should perform Grucox eccentric training?
- Anybody wanting to strengthen and tone their leg muscles.
- Runners and cyclist, as well as other sports people, will benefit from strength and balance and stability training on the Grucox bikes
- Eccentric training is ideal for rehabilitation and prevention of muscle and tendon injuries
- Treatment of conditions such as: Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome, Patella-Tendonopathy (Runners knee), Achilles Tendinopathy, Lower limb dysfunctions and weakness, Knee and Ankle ligament sprains
- As the cardiac load is much lower, Grucox training is ideal for the elderly, cardiac rehabilitation, and other patients with reduced physical capacity.
- Ideal for weight loss; Fat oxidation during eccentric cycling is greater than during normal cycling.
What is eccentric training?
During eccentric training the muscle elongates while trying to resist or slow down an opposing force.
The muscle produces an eccentric contraction when lowering a weight.
However, the Grucox bike is the only way to perform constant eccentric training.
What are the benefits of eccentric training on the Grucox?
- Greater strength gains compared to conventional resistance training (concentric).
- Eccentric training has been shown to prevent injury
- Training on the grucox bike is more functional
- Eccentric training improves muscle control
- Eccentric training indices minimal cardiac load with maximal muscle strain/ effort
- Low joint impact – ideal for older or ‘at risk’ clients
But what do our clients have to say about it?
Fatima & Zidane Tayob have been training with us consistently over the last few months here is what Fatima had to say:
Well, well, if you looking for leg boost in any sports I’m here to tell you it really works. Your 1st 10min of eccentric training will leave your legs feeling like u have just ran a marathon but the benefits are definitely worth it. We keep going back for more and more. My son just turned 14 and within a month of doing grucox he has been selected to play u15A Squash, he is currently ranked U14 B1 WP and u15 11th in the junior African Open. I’ve never seen him move on the courts like this before even I’m amazed. With me it’s was about getting fit and staying injury free for my 1st Cape Town marathon. I did not expect to run PB race after race without any effort at all. Huge thank you Everyday Athlete for keeping us strong.